Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Out Came the Rain, and Washed the Golfers Out

Wee - that was fun! Just like golfing in Scotland (from what I've seen on TV) minus the wind and cold temperatures.

For those of you wondering, the standard for whether league plays or not in inclement weather is whether the golf course is open. If the course is open, league is on. If the course is closed, league is off. It may have been a close call for Bill last night, but he let me know the course would be open unless it became dangerous or unplayable. Contrary to what some H2O-averse golfers indicated to me, Bill was not waiting for me to call off league play. When asked if he wanted to close the course he indicated he did not. I think this works with the liberal rain-check policy he indicated would be in place for the night.

As it was, it appears that only 16-20 men chose to complete the course on Tuesday. The rest made an exodus, in carts and on foot, like so many pairs of beasts heading to the Noah's Ark of the Glenway Clubhouse. When we finished our round, the sky was bright and there was only a light drizzle (although our clothes were 30 pound heavier than when we started).

Of course, just because that is the standard doesn't mean it has to remain the standard. We can certainly discuss it at the banquet after the season, if you'd like. The goal of league play is to have fun and some friendly competition. I suppose some people might have a hard time having fun in last night's weather, but everyone in my foursome managed to.

As to how to account for scoring last night's matches, I will soon (before next week's play) arrive at some King Solomon-like decision on how to handle the fact that some matches were completed and some were not. I think there's a pretty fair resolution that won't punish or benefit anyone. Of course, as always, I welcome your input.

No comments: