Friday, June 14, 2013

Volunteers (or meagerly paid helpers) wanted!

If you read this blog in chronological order, you already know that I am leaving Madison and, therefore, the golf league at the end of June.

What this means to the league is that somebody (or somebodies) needs to take over my in-season duties after the league scramble on June 25.  Here is a breakdown of what I do (and a little bit of how).  It may be that the duties can be split up and I'll take a stab at that.  I am definitely willing to sit down with people before I leave to go over the tools I use, and I will be available for email/phone consultation if you get stuck. (I will be temporarily living in my in-laws' guest room, so any opportunity to interact with the outside world will be appreciated.)

Please let me know if you have any interest in helping out or - if you don't have any interest - whether you would be willing to take on some duties for the benefit of the league (which has been around since 1958!).

FYI - The league commissioner does get paid, in the form of free greens fees taken out of annual league  dues.  If these duties are split across multiple people, you could split the stipend also.

Prep for the week:

  • Update the week's match-ups displayed in upper-right corner of blog.  Technically, this task could be skipped.  (Estimated 5 minutes)
  • Update handicaps based on previous week's score.  This is done in a spreadsheet by adding last week's scores and removing the 9th-oldest score.  The handicap is the updated automatically.  (I would say this will take 5-20 minutes, based on how familiar one becomes with it.)
    • I usually first enter the golfer scores in a separate tab of the spreadsheet so I can report scores for all 14/18 weeks at the end of the year in the yearbook.  I then copy-and-paste them into the handicap tab of the spreadsheet.
  • Create the pairings.  Using the existing schedule and a pre-set algorithm (documented in the spreadsheet), enter the golfers and their handicaps and set the individual match-ups based on the algorithm. (15-40 minutes)
  • Add the pairings to the blog. Technically, this step could be skipped.  I try (tried) to do it on Sunday nights.  It involves copying the pairings from a special tab in the spreadsheet into a blog post and then just tidying it up a bit.  (5-10 minutes)
  • Print out pairings and post a copy at the clubhouse.  If I can't be at the course before the first tee time on Tuesday, I take it over on Monday night. (10-45 minutes, depending on whether you make a special trip)
  • Determine whether anybody still owes you money and who is owed a prize ball.  When I have my ^&@* together, I take a list with me to the course so I know. (10 minutes)
Tuesday Nights:
  • Bring pairings, if I haven't already posted them.  I usually bring a second copy so I can hang them near the first tee.
  • Bring list of who owes money and who is owed a prize ball.  Hunt them all down if time allows.  Write down everyone who pays and everyone you've given a ball, because you're old and won't remember after the round (or maybe that's just me).
  • Make sure the first group takes out prize flag-sticks (if you're there).  Since there are new guys working the clubhouse, I usually have to remind them we need the sticks.
  • Collect scorecards at the end of the night.
  • Report all scores < 40 to the clubhouse for inclusion in the newspaper.  (I still do this, though I have no idea of the post-Scheer clubhouse actually calls them in.  This may be moot now if they no longer call them in.)
  • Collect hole prize winners (just the names - not the actual people) at the end of the night
Post-Tuesday work:
  • Enter all scores into the pairings spreadsheet.  The spreadsheet will automatically calculate the individual match-up and team points. (5-20 minutes)
    • I currently enter every hole for every player in the spreadsheet, which then automatically calculates the score for the round.  This is not a necessity, though I do catch about one addition error per week. (10-30 minutes)
  • Update the standings spreadsheet with the team scores.  Then re-sort by total points and adjust the "Place" column. (5-10 minutes)
  • Update the standings spreadsheet with the league average, low gross, low net, 12-putts-or-less, and hole prize winners. (5-10 minutes)
  • Save both the pairings (results) spreadsheet and the standings spreadsheet as PDF's. (1 minute)
  • Upload both PDF's to Google Docs (or some other cloud-based storage) such that you can provide Internet links to them. (5-20 minutes)
  • Add the Results and Standings links to the blog. (5-10 minutes).
  • Write something pithy to the league about what went down on Tuesday night. (3-6 hours)
There's also post-season work (yearbook, banquet prep, etc.) and pre-season work (ensure rosters are filled, teams are ready, spreadsheets are ready, prize balls are purchased) that I won't get into now.  I hibernate from September through March.

No comments: